Reply To: My story THR recovery ( 12 month) advice

Home Forums General Discussion Forum My story THR recovery ( 12 month) advice Reply To: My story THR recovery ( 12 month) advice

OB
Participant

I am not an MD….but I am your age and have run since I was 18 covering many miles. I am now 21 months post THR posterior. Last year I ran 1300 miles slowly building back to where I ran the Atlanta half marathon the end of last month. I used a combo of run/walks 5/1 minute and was running approximately 45 miles per week at peak. I did most of my uptempo work once a week on the bike and in the pool. I also do triathlons.

When it was really cold….10 degrees f….I experienced pain in my femur during my runs. I figured it to be nerve pain having a titanium post buried in the bone. Other than that I only experienced muscle stiffness from typical training. That kind of pain and stiffness was what I expected, especially in my mid 60s coming back from a long layoff. If the pain was sharp….which I did not experience….and lasted more than several days, I would have checked in with my surgeon. Thankfully I never experienced that.

I do standard stretching and weight exercises that improve mobility such as yoga positions and weighted squats. Nothing special, but they did cut me open and that always leads to tightness that needs to be addressed for range of motion.

I hope that helps.