Thank You For Giving Me Hope

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Thank You For Giving Me Hope

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      RunRhon
      Participant

This group has given me the hope back that I was quickly losing. Thank you for allowing me to join!! On 12/1/24 I had to undergo emergency surgery…m
      [See the full post at: Thank You For Giving Me Hope]

TJ
      Participant

RunRhon-
      thanks for your truly inspiring story. I had my surgery 11/28 just two days prior to yours. I too have been inspired by this blog/forum and have been given hope as well. I can’t wait to get on it at the end of day and thank you Tom for starting it. Unlike you -my surgeon told me no running but after pressing him he said maybe in a year-then he said 6 months- after I mentioned this website and the absolute need to run. I think you have to be a runner to understand that when that may be taken away that depression sets in and thoughts of-what now? Good luck on your recovery and I think the comment-let your body be your guide is good advice.

Petemeads
      Participant

To some extent it depends on what kind of device you have received, but for me with an uncemented ceramic/ceramic Zimmer THR I worked up to running 5k steadily by 6 weeks post-op, aged 66. My surgeon supported me and the physical therapy leading up to this included jogging on a treadmill and long steady walks. This hip is nearly 7 years old and has run in the hills, half-marathons and 5k parkruns. It feels perfectly normal. My sister-in-law has a cemented Exeter device and was told that running was not allowed, so she has not run at all and I would not encourage her to try – the cement they use remains slightly compliant to avoid thigh pain. This is a successful UK device but probably not used anywhere else, and should be avoided by the running community.

WedgeC
      Participant

Great story of inspiration Rhon!
      I am back to running 5 and 10k’s FASTER than I did in the couple years prior to my hip replacement so getting faster and building endurance is absolutely in the cards! Note, I am 52 years old!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.