Shoes after THR

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Shoes after THR

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      VTmama
      Participant

Hi everyone, I had my THR anterior right hip last April. I want to start trying to run again but am curious to know whether you all went back to your
      [See the full post at: Shoes after THR]

I don’t have a good answer for you, as I am not getting my THR until June. Question though – you note some pain while doing some easy running. How would you generally characterize your recovery. As expected? Better or worse? Are you able to do non-running activity? And as someone who is now in the queue, would you say “just get it done” ? 🙂

OB
      Participant

Try running 2 minutes followed by 2 minutes of walking. Over time build to 5/1 minutes as you feel comfortable. As far as shoes, get a pair you enjoy running in. All shoes these days have great padding so they are all good. I would stay away from the track for awhile and just find a nice trail or road surface.

Petemeads
      Participant

I took a different approach to most – I learned to take smaller strides and up my cadence, using pretty flat racing shoes with litle padding. I reckoned it was more like walking fast, as opposed to striding out and heel striking. It seemed to work, and no damage was done, but now I am back (7 years on) to using modern racing shoes like Saucony Endorphin or Brooks Hyperion.

Almighty Bob
      Participant

I experienced a lot of discomfort when I first tried to run. You need to rebuild those muscles, but you will get there with patience and perseverence. As OB said, try shorter bursts of running and keep to a run/walk strategy until you are able to run for longer periods. I also find hills to be really good for getting the glutes back up to scratch. Speed walking up a decent incline will really give them a good workout! As for shoes, I am currently embroiled in a sordid love affair with my ASICS gel nimbus 25s. The cushioning feels oh so nice.

WedgeC
      Participant

Back to same fave shoes post THR for me!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.