Old Runners Never Quit

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Old Runners Never Quit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      psc@ieee.org
      Participant

Two years ago this day, 12/19/2016, I had my left hip replaced, anterior, at OHSU, Oregon. Doc said “No more marathon” after the surgery. OK with me a
      [See the full post at: Old Runners Never Quit]

Hip Brother Tom
      Keymaster

That’s the spirit Pete! Stay young!

ForceD
      Participant

I’ll concur with the “old runners never quit” mantra. At 57 I’ve been running for almost 43 years. Less than a year since my left hip replacement and I’m back to running…but just a fraction of the milage as before hip problems set in. I’m running only a couple of times per week, no more than six miles at a time. I don’t really plan to increas that mileage. Partially because I just don’t want to expedite the wearing out of the artificial hip, but also because of pain/discomfort from other issues. My knees, but especially my right knee, give me trouble. I tore the meniscus a year before the hip replacement. And for several years now I’ve been dealing with Morton’s Neuroma. I can still get my fitness in through bicycling and swimming. I just want to continue to run just enough to be able to call myself a runner.

Dan

ForceD
      Participant

I should add that the “old runners never quit” comment reminds me of a mantra I’ve used since my earliest days of running back in the mid-70s…

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

Dan

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.