BHR D-Day Is Nearly Here

Home Forums General Discussion Forum BHR D-Day Is Nearly Here

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Rollover
      Participant

I suppose this is a blog/history up to this point. I have always loved sport. Through the majority of my 53 years on this planet, I’ve played football
      [See the full post at: BHR D-Day Is Nearly Here]

ForceD
      Participant

Good luck, Graham.

I hadn’t heard of BHR (Birmingham Hip Resurfacing), your particular resurfacing process, and had to look it up. I’m just wondering how it compares to total hip replacement (THR). Is the procedure less invasive? What is the life expectancy of the device compared to a THR?

Dan

Johan
      Participant

Good luck – I had a BHR in Jan 2018. Two weeks later it broke while walking (femoral head broke off). Make sure the surgeon and physios understand the rehab. My doc didn’t admit to it, but mine was prob caused by a nick to the bone during the op which caused a stress concentration. Manufacturers recommend 6 weeks light weight bearing. Now I have a THR. It’s great – mobility back and running 6 miles every second day. No pain

Run4Fun
      Participant

I had a BHR installed August 2017. For me it’s been wonderful. I now run pain free as much as I like
      pre-surgery I averaged 10k training distance just about every day. and I did 3 marathons in the months prior. Today 8 months post surgery, I am almost back to the distances I ran before, still a little slower,but I am steadily improving each week. My Dream is to run the Boston Marathon one more time.. working on it
      Good luck, as a runner I don’t think you will be disappointed with a BHR

Hip Brother Tom
      Keymaster

Hey Rollover. So sorry I am late to the party. 🙂 At least you are prepared and you know that you will want to do more than you are allowed. That is ok. Just stay optimistic and rest when the hip tells you to. In time, the hip will recover and you will be back to doing all of the things you love to do!

Dave Whiteside
      Participant

Hi Graham, I played soccer all my life until my hip got bad. I managed to limp on for 5 years after being diagnosed bone on bone but refused to give in. Then I didn’t do anything for 5 years until I had it replaced. Now I wish I had done it sooner. I started running 3 months after my hip replacement and fell in love with the sport. I’m confident you will return to running and can be just as fast as you were before.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.