Reply To: Running With Hip Arthritis

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Running With Hip Arthritis Reply To: Running With Hip Arthritis

seanm
Participant

Hi Iron Runner,

I first found out in 2015 I had moderate arthritis in my hip when it showed up on an MRI. But I had great success with cortisone shots for a number of years. I continued to run 3-5 times a week, and enter races from 5k up to 1/2 marathon. However, I would usually end up with an injury in the hip flexor area, and need another cortisone shot. And each time I got a cortisone shot, the effect wouldn’t last as long. But it wasn’t until the last year or so that I really went downhill, the last cortisone shot didn’t work, and I couldn’t run, or even do simple walks w/o discomfort. So I knew it was time. I had a THR of my left hip on January 19, 2024. And I have just started doing short run/walks.

Anyway, looking back I think I did the right thing. I was able to run mostly pain free for a good 7 years even though I would periodically overdo it and re-injure the hip. Have you tried a cortisone shot? They don’t work for everyone and they do take a little time to kick in, like a few weeks in my case.

HTH,
Sean

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by seanm.