Reply To: Any stats on runners years after replacement?

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Any stats on runners years after replacement? Reply To: Any stats on runners years after replacement?

Petemeads
Participant

Hi TatianaMaria,

OB’s linked video is very reassuring about the bearing surfaces, polyethylene was not just a problem because the joint loosened but because the plastic debris from this wear could provoke the body to cause pseudotumours and pain.

I have one metal on metal bearing which will be 10 years old in November and a ceramic on ceramic bearing coming up for 7 years in May. I don’t expect any trouble from either in my lifetime, but I am 73…

Regarding bone problems, I didn’t like the idea of a spike down my femur and the sttess-shielding associated with a THR (which is why my older hip is a resurfacing) but at the moment there is no sign of any problem.

I am running over 1,000 miles a year, on pavement, hills and trails etc, and climbing/bouldering (taking the odd fall). My THR hip has a bit more range of motion. Same surgeon for both operations, who was asked to provide hips I could be active with.