Reply To: when to start running after surgery-Tony

Home Forums General Discussion Forum when to start running after surgery-Tony Reply To: when to start running after surgery-Tony

OB
Participant

Everyone is different on their recovery. For background, I had posterior THR last Feb and am a long time runner /triathlete age 68. I had my other hip replaced in July 2020.

My doctor said to wait 6 months before attempting to run again so I started walking, biking and swimming once the wound was healed. By 6 months I was walking up to 6 to 8 miles per day with some jogging steps as you described. When I started back I would run a minute and walk 5 minutes for 3 miles. I slowly built up over the next couple of months where I reversed that to 5/1 minutes. I then built that up over the next couple of months from 3 miles to 6. Once I got to 6 I started to run 2/3 miles steady with no walks.

At two years from my first THR, my Dr x-rayed my hip and said it looked great. I had just completed a half marathon. I am using the same process with my second hip and am currently running 6 to 8 miles three to four times a week. I also swim 3 times per week and bike 4 x.