Reply To: Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Pain, 6 years post operation

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Pain, 6 years post operation Reply To: Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Pain, 6 years post operation

Henry
Participant

Hello, All!

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Rob- a BHR is a Birmingham Hip Replacment. You can google for images, and it is worth a thousand words.

Codfish- I had classic bone on bone hip pain starting at 58 years old. At that time (7 years ago), the x ray showed classic bone on bone. That hurt then. Typical pain, poor sleep, suddenly could not run. (sorry for any confusion on that.)

Today the exray shows the BHR is in tight still, bones are good today. The BHR was a good choice, I thought. Seems to have a great record for many athletes. No regrets until now , maybe. Definitely no regrets running- sports define me most days, and I was back. I have had no restrictions, things were good. Skate ski racing, inline marathons, long distance road biking, snowshoeing, volleyball, aplenty. I am almost good as before until the last couple of years. Yes, the pain is vaguely, but not exactly, like the bone on bone pain I had at 58. It sure does hurt to get up and start walking now.

Cobalt and Chromium levels seem in the ok range. I would think BHR fail from cracking bones, coming loose, bones that get necrosis, etc? I can’t imagine that they wear out, since they are so big and robust. Or, do they?

Pete- I think my back is good. I have gotten opinions from my 2 surgeons, and a running chiro, that agree with that.

The doctors are not finding anything wrong by xray or mri……….

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Henry.
  • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Henry.