Reply To: Posterior THR recovery experiences

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Posterior THR recovery experiences Reply To: Posterior THR recovery experiences

HaveToRun
Participant

Reply To: Posterior THR recovery experiences

Hi Janice
Thanks for your reply – it is very encouraging.
I’m 51, male, and was also late in life to running having started age 47. I was quickly hooked and went on like you from C25K. I ran a marathon in 2020 – alone as I’d entered The Manchester Marathon which was of course cancelled. The rest of 2020 was great for me running wise – I was running weekly half marathons and even managed to run the Cheshire Half with a new PB.
I had arthritis when I started running (unknowingly) and I continued once it was diagnosed but it’s now bone on bone – I can barely walk some days.
I have also opted to self pay but I’ve simply stayed with the consultant I originally saw on the NHS. He doesn’t support a return to running, mainly from wanting the prosthesis to last as long as possible. He’s very much a stats man and quotes proven numbers ie. which approach allows the best chance of success, which materials have proven how long they have lasted etc. He said metal on metal was once thought best now it’s proven otherwise. He says anterior minimal approach is all the rage, but the surgeon has a very limited view. I’ve been told the stem will be cemented or uncemented depending on what he sees on the day. Said it didn’t make much difference ?? The head will be ceramic and a cross polythene cup. He said he would expect it to last at least 15 years. None were fitted 30 years ago so this is not proven yet!
I researched on the National Joint Registry. My guy does about 125 hips and 25 revisions a year. About half as many knees as well. He’s currently an expert witness in a litigation case against a surgeon who carried out an anterior approach replacement. I’m not sure how else other than recommendations how to find anyone more suited. I’m not sure if this forum permits sharing of such information but I would be interested to speak to your consultant.
Darren