Reply To: 2 THR’s (Right – August 13th, 2020 and Left – March 17th, 2021)

Home Forums General Discussion Forum 2 THR’s (Right – August 13th, 2020 and Left – March 17th, 2021) Reply To: 2 THR’s (Right – August 13th, 2020 and Left – March 17th, 2021)

AlasdairW
Participant

Hi Stuart. I had THR on my right hip December 2019 and on my left in March 2020 in my 60th year. I am a (93kg) lifelong runner/multi sports enthusiast and completed a couple of half IM in 2015/6 by way of background. I stopped running probably 2 years pre op and have elected to wait post op although I was able to walk and road cycle comfortably 4 months after my second op. Since then I wave worked a lot on my core strength and mobility with a lot of squats and similar exercises.
I decided to restart running a few weeks ago since when I have done half a dozen steady 4 km runs without any pain at all and I intend to step this up with a target of 10km pit probably only to run 2-3 times a week.
I have gone for a well-cushioned shoe initially (Hoka Bondi). The hardest things so far have been that I am having to slightly relearn running style-wise and to work out if I need to modify my stride in any way so forefoot, mid or heel first and then stride length. It’s work in progress but I’ll keep you posted.