Reply To: Two weeks Post Surgery

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Two weeks Post Surgery Reply To: Two weeks Post Surgery

Brent
Participant

Hey Chris,

I was just watching you YouTube video #10. Thanks for posting these – they really help me get my head around what to expect.

I was scheduled to have my THR on March 18 but decided to wait as I feel like I have a few more miles left in me. Hoping to wait until November when I turn 51. At this point its been almost 5 1/2 years since I was first diagnosed. By the statistics I’m an outlier when it comes to THR.

Like you I am/was an ultra trail runner. I think that’s why I can empathize with where you’re at during this recovery. I worry about trying not to overdo it too fast. I do think there is some great advice here about taking time. Kathryn makes a strong point for a very slow build up using the run/walk method. I know it doesn’t sound as good as running but believe me it works. In the 5 1/2 years I’ve had 2 other surgeries that set me back for months at a time. An appendectomy and a sports hernia – the sports hernia sucked! Anyway, what I learned during those recovery periods is that the whole run/walk thing actually works. You can still cover quite a bit of ground without re-injury. I also bike and swim to allow for inflammation to reside . . .then again, I am also playing the waiting game on THR.

From all my research concerning THR and a slew of discussions with Docs here in Minneapolis you want to allow time for the stem to fuse with your femur. Most of these docs were pushing for at least 6 months before a return to running. I guess you’ll know when it feels right.

Keep up the good work and you’ll be running/skiing/whatever in a few months.
Brent