Reply To: THR on July 1, 2020 – working my way back – any input?

Home Forums General Discussion Forum THR on July 1, 2020 – working my way back – any input? Reply To: THR on July 1, 2020 – working my way back – any input?

OB
Participant

Congratulations on the new hip. I am 10 weeks post op and am walking about 40 miles per week, biking 150 and swimming 3. My buddies, who are longtime runners and have hips replaced tell me not to start running until at least the 4 month mark. During my walks I will jog, like hurrying across a parking lot. I started by taking 10 steps, then walking about a 1/4 mile before trying it again. I stayed with the 10 steps for about a week before moving it up to 15. I am now doing 60 steps and trying to move a little faster. I would rather do steps, then seconds. I am also purchase some zero drop shoes and I am working on a mid foot plant verses heal to reduce impact forces. I figure this is all build up for my 4 month attempt at more continuous running….when I will start with a 1 minute run, 5 minute walk and build from there with the goal of a feb 5k if all works out. A little background, I have run over 135,000 lifetime miles, biked 100,000 and swam 10,000. My best time in the marathon is 2:25 (1982) and my best 70.3 tri is 4:28 at age 54. Good luck with starting back and maybe use the step method verses time starting out.