Reply To: 2 weeks post-op

Home Forums Progress Reports and Achievements 2 weeks post-op Reply To: 2 weeks post-op

Odie
Participant

Hi there
I had a Full hip replacement for my right hip. I have always been extremely active. I boxed internationally, did loads of running and compete horses. I have never had problems with my joints until I had my second child at the age of 41. It was down hill from there. As soon as I had my baby my knee was very sore, was painful to step up. Then painful in the groin. I tried too do everything too help it. The doctors sent me too a OS and I had MRI & x-rays. The joint had no cartilage. It was bone on bone. It was so weird, one day I was running 22km, then I was pregnant then 9 months later after pregnancy my hip was deteriorated.
I was due to have the surgery a year after diagnosis, while in hospital before procedure I ended up with a infection in the hip joint. They would not operate on me for a year. I had a baby and a toddler too carry around. Was a painful time. I was told by everyone that I would not be able too run again. But I am so determined too run a 100km and keep running. I have been told not too fall off my horses when jumping. That’s a joke. Because at some point it will happen. But that is life.
My running recovery is very slow. I jog up hill and walk. My yoga and flexibility is really good working on strengthening legs, hips and glutes. Do Pilates twice a week, swim. But cannot run far on flat ground. I jog for 30 sec etc then walk. Knee gets sore but the next day I feel amazing. Don’t know why knee is sore. But just really trying too take it slowly.
I felt very alone until I discovered this blog. I felt like I was the only person who would dare run after frill hip replacement. People frown at me when I tell them I am off for a jog walk.
So be it.
Look forward too questions and information sharing.
By the way I have learnt – if you go too hard early on it sets you back. It’s not worth it.