It’s been a while since my last post (about 4 years) – here: https://www.hiprunner.com/?p=8422
I’m finally at the point where I’m scheduled within 1 month to take the plunge with a left THR, aged 35.
A brief background:
– previously a very active amateur footballer and casual runner. Aged 29 I was diagnosed with bilateral OA. Genetic/ over-use etc …
– I had a left hip arthroscopy 5.5Y ago and I did the same for my right hip last year.
– I have done Hyalauronic injections in both hips a couple of times over the years – last time about three months ago.
– I have pain most days which I try to manage with needling, massage and hard-rolling. At times I get very sharp, acute, shooting pain in the worse (imagine that’s the bone-on-bone?)
– Post op, the right is looking good on the X-ray (good spacing, no re-growth of impingements, no cists). Occasionally I get this annoying catching sensation and often muscular ache. I’m hoping that is scar tissue/ compensation for my (much worse) left hip as the Dr says the X-ray looks like I have a good few years left in the right hip.
– The latest X-rays on the left hip show visible progression over the years – irregular spacing, big spurs/ impingements, bone on bone at the corner, cists everywhere – so I’m booked in for the left THR in 3 weeks….
I came to the decision over the past 12 months to finally get the left THR. I have struggled consistently to walk longer than 10 mins – often having to stop to stretch or rest the hip. I can exercise as usual on the bike/ cross-trainer/ swimming but haven’t run properly for three years. For me that’s not good enough: I have two young sons and I want to be an active dad, I want to be able to manage my weight and health with exercise, I dream of running or playing football casually again, I want to be pain free. I want to maximize my mobility … (Click Here to View Full Post and Comments)