Registered: 4 months, 1 week ago
I am an ultramarathon trail runner and racer. I run adventure runs and trails races up to the 100 mile distance. I was recently diagnosed with hip dysplasia, my left hip has almost no cartilage remaining and the lower inside portion of my femur ball is in direct bone on bone contact with my lower pelvis down towards the pubis. The pain is constant and at times unbearable, I can't bend or squat on my left side or leg with full body weight without the hip and leg collapsing from the pain and running is impossible. I stopped running because of the pain in the beginning of September. Fortunately I can still cross country ski with mild discomfort now that the snow came down at the end of October. My Dr told me I have to have THR and the X-rays don't lie, it's obvious. I am about to begin my journey shortly, making the appointment to set the surgery date this week. I wanted to wait until January of 2020 for the surgery so I could wait for my insurance policy to renew so I don't pay twice on the deductible. Also I want to wait until January so I can save up money to pay for everything that my insurance won't cover, I started a Go Fund Me account because I don't make a lot of money, I'm a trail runner after all. I'm scared about what is going to happen, what will take place through surgery, post surgery, rehab and through recovery. I'm scared I'll never be able to run again, I'll lose my sponsors and a way of life that identifies me with who I am. I love running, I love the ultra trail running community and I can't deal without being a part of it. I'm contacting you now for information and support as I begin this process, thank you.
Last Activity: 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Topics Started: 0
Replies Created: 20
Forum Role: Participant